Recipe credit: Deepa Pradhan
This dish is generally made during Janmashtami and distributed as prasad. It’s a simple dish, with no cooking required. The quantities can be adjusted as per taste.
- 3 cups thick poha washed and drained
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cucumbers cut into small cubes
- 1 guava cut into small cubes
- ½ cup chana dal (Bengal gram) soaked for 3 hrs
- ½ cup green coriander
- ½ cup fresh coconut, scraped or grated finely
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon pickle (sweet)
- Salt and sugar to taste.
Mix all the ingredients, adjust salt and sugar to taste. Serve in bowls made with leaves. (द्रोण)
For the Whole-Food Plant-Based (WFPB) version:
Use rock salt instead of refined salt.
Use red rice poha instead of the white rice poha.
Use date or raisin paste instead of sugar. Soak the dates if not soft before grinding to a paste with a little water. If you want to use raisins, make sure they are soaked for at least 4-6 hours before grinding them. Use the soaking liquid to grind both the soaked dates or raisins.