Recipe Credit: Darshana Muzumdar
Makes 325 grams
- 250 gms dhania (coriander seeds)
- 75 gms jeera (cumin seeds)
- Important Note: the coriander seeds should be a little smaller in size than normal and green in colour. The brown seeds are older and have less fragrance.
- Clean the coriander seeds and sieve them to remove any dust. Spread them on a dry cloth in the sun for around an hour.
- Remove any stems from the jeera and sieve it to remove any dust.
- Dry roast the seeds on low to medium heat till they lose all moisture. This should take around 8-10 minutes. Take care not to allow them to change colour or become brown.
- Cool by spreading them immediately in a big plate to prevent any seeds from becoming brown at the bottom of the pot.
- Grind them both together till they become as fine as you can make them.
- Mix them well in a pot and allow the powder to come down to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight dry glass jar pressing down the powder firmly.
- Place a 2-inch piece of asafoetida on top of the powder before fitting the lid tightly.
- Note: if you want to make it in a smaller quantity, use 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds to 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- If the powder gets exposed to air, there are chances that it will lose its fragrance and it will get infested with insects and worms.