Recipe credit: Darshana Muzumdar
Serves 4 as part of a traditional Indian meal.
- 300 gms (4 cups) thick poha
- 1/2 cup jaggery to taste
- ½ coconut (1 cup) grated coconut
- 2-3 cardamoms
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- Wash the pressed rice gently and drain it in a colander. Let it rest for five to ten minutes for it to become soft.
- Grate the coconut, cut up the jaggery into small pieces or grate it and powder the cardamom. Place them in a bowl and mix them all well.
- Separate the poha flakes gently to remove any lumps and to make it fluffy. Add this to the coconut and jaggery mixture and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature. This is a very quick snack to make and one that children enjoy.
- For a variation, the flat pressed rice can be deep fried in hot oil to make it crisp instead of soaking it. Of course do not wash it if doing so. This needs to be served at once.
For the Whole-Food Plant-Based (WFPB) version:
- Use date or raisin paste instead of jaggery
- Do not fry the poha.
- Use red rice poha instead of white poha. You may need to rest this poha a little longer after being washed.